Sunday, February 14, 2010

Being the heavy....

This has been a long weekend. It started on Thursday afternoon, when the kids had a half day of school. I don't know what it is about half days, but they seem to throw us all for a loop, and my kids forget their senses. No one was happy... They were all hopped up on sugar from the Valentine's Day parties... Life was generally unfair...

Then Friday came. It was a "snow day". This is our second one this month. But the real clincher, we haven't had even a glimmer of hope of snow in months! Why are we having snow days when we don't have snow. Aren't they built in, then not taken if the said weather decides not to show?

Since we had a long weekend, the mom and organizer in me, thought it would be great to get the house cleaned, so we could have the weekend free. My children had other ideas. Ideas that didn't come from me. Instead of cleaning their rooms, they staged a coup! That is what I said. Let the games begin! Not only did the rooms not get cleaned, they got worse! I don't know how this happens, but the rooms were actually worse then when they started. And the boys, well, let's just say that they have 2 less drawers in their dresser then when they started.

I do have to say, the topper to it all was Seth. Bless his heart. He loves his stuffed animals. So much so, he wanted to see their insides. So, he took it upon his industrial little self to get my wire cutters, from my beading supplies, and do a little surgery. By the time is was done, 3 stuffed animals had been under the cutters, and their insides lay all over the upstairs. You know the kind... tiny little plastic beads that hurt under your feet, but refused to pick up by anything other than the shop vac!

Well, come Friday night, I was exhausted. Mentally drained, and expecting company. Our friends were coming over for dinner and cards, and I was too pooped to think straight. Bob decided he had a solution to the dilemma that was sure to get the kids to change their minds, and start to behave. He told me that he would be leaving first thing in the morning, (I know, I was momentarily panicked), and gather as many banana boxes as he could find at the local grocer.

Dinner and games were fun! We enjoyed a great game of Hand and Foot and the mocking of the Canadians during the opening ceremonies was more then memorable. Saturday morning arrived, and Bob was off to run his little errand.

When he arrived home, the kids were shocked to find themselves in the middle of a cleaning frenzy. You see, they had to watch as we packed up every toy, game and book. Sorted through their clothes, shoes and belongings. By the time it was through, 95% of all belongings were boxed, and in the van, on their way to the Goodwill. See we have gotten to the point, that if there is not going to be respect for our home, property or others, that we will just give our things away to others who will enjoy them much more. There were tears, and some harsh undertones in the conversation that afternoon, but we think we made the point clear. If you don't take care of your things, and you don't care about the area you live in, then you won't have those things, and your area will be very bare, because if I have to clean it, well I am gonna make it easy on myself.

Now the 5% of possessions we did keep, are boxed up and put in their closets. They have to earn them back. They are those items that really mean the most to them. A favorite book, toy, stuffed animal, a DS, movie... whatever. It's been a long Sunday. No one is happy. They can't play their DSs, or PlayStation. They can't play Legos, which proved to be interesting when the neighbor boy came over, and wanted to play.

Attitudes are being adjusted, and it is hurting, but in the end, I am sure we made the right decision. I really am tired of having to be the "heavy". It's exhausting. But at the same time, I completely understand that this is just a moment in time. It to will pass, and the hope is that we won't have to return to it. And that maybe one day we will laugh about it, when our kids come running to us, with the same struggles!

No comments:

Post a Comment